DIY Topiary: Wedding Centerpieces
Tis the season for weddings! My little brother will be getting married in less than a month and my crafter of a mother offered to make all the center-pieces for the BIG day!
Since the countdown is officially on, she recruited my help in making some topiaries, which I thought would be a great project to share. Topiaries make fantastic tablescapes for anything from showers to parties to your own kitchen table!
What You Will Need:
- Styrofoam Ball
- 1″ Dowel Rod
- Clay Pot
- Styrofoam Square (large enough so it fits snuggly into the pot)
- Spray Adhesive
- Modge Podge
- Sponge Brushes
- Hot Glue
- Floral Pins
- Spanish Moss
- Ribbon (wire trimmed works best)
- Paint for Clay Pot (we used black)
- Paint for Dowel Rod (we used pink)
- Glitter (we used black and pink)
What You Will Need To Do:
- Paint the clay pot black (or color of your choice) and let dry.
- Then mix Modge Podge with black glitter. Apply to clay pot over black paint and let dry.
- Cut dowel rod with saw to desired height. The apply layer of pink paint (or color of your choice) and let dry.
- Then mix the Modge Podge with the pink glitter. Apply to dowel rod over the pink paint and let dry.
- Cut a hole into the styrofoam ball the diameter of the dowel rod and hot glue in place.
- Place the square piece of styrofoam into the clay pot using hot glue at the bottom to hold it in place.
- Cut a hole into the square piece of styrofoam (which in now inside the clay pot) the diameter of the dowel rod and secure with hot glue.
- Spray the styrofoam ball and around the styrofoam square base with the spray adhesive. Place spanish moss over the ball and around the top of the clay pot where the spray adhesive is.
- Once you get a good layer of spanish moss in place, take your artificial flowers (which have been taken off the stems) and hot glue them into the spanish moss covered styrofoam ball until barely any moss is showing.
- Use the floral pins and various sizes of wired ribbon to fill in areas with the ribbon fragments.
- With a larger ribbon, form large loops and place them around the bottom of the ball and let the ends hand loose.
The possibilities are endless on where you could take your topiary!!!